Re: Building PDFs error: \pdfendlink ended up in different nesting level than \pd

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>
Cc: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)commandprompt(dot)com>, Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>, Josh Kupershmidt <schmiddy(at)gmail(dot)com>, pgsql-docs <pgsql-docs(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Building PDFs error: \pdfendlink ended up in different nesting level than \pd
Date: 2011-04-26 16:10:11
Lists: pgsql-docs

> Alvaro Herrera wrote:
>> Excerpts from Bruce Momjian's message of mar abr 26 12:44:39 -0300 2011:

>>> I think moving some would be even worse than what we have now, unless
>>> you can propose some logic about why they would be split.

>> Remember that this thread is about someone being unable to build a PDF
>> from our docs (and the proposed workaround being "insert more page
>> breaks"), not about how logical the documentation is.
>>
>> In any case, the ones I listed are the ones that have more structure
>> documentation-wise (which also are the ones that have received more
>> attention and thus are of more interest to users), so there is some
>> logic behind it.
>>
>> Am I saying that not all contrib modules are created equal? Yes, I am.
>> So sue me.

> It is hard to see how a user is going to guess which ones are better
> than others when trying to find something in the docs. I think we are
> going to need logical categories if we want to split them up.

I don't think this works. Aside from the illogicality, what will you do
when somebody works a bit harder on one of the modules that have "short"
documentation? Push it over into the other appendix in the next
release? Ugh.

Unlike Bruce, I don't have any problem with pushing them all up to
chapter level. One point of such a change is to make them more visible,
so I do not see it as a "disadvantage" that they'd all be visible in the
TOC --- more the opposite.