Re: [COMMITTERS] pgsql: Properly install gram.h on MSVC builds

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: [COMMITTERS] pgsql: Properly install gram.h on MSVC builds
Date: 2011-01-09 16:49:00
Lists: pgsql-committers pgsql-hackers

> On Sun, Jan 9, 2011 at 17:31, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us> wrote:
>> I'd like to protest this patch as misguided. AFAICS it is a *seriously*

> Uh, we install the file on Unix, so we should do the same on Windows.

Well, my idea of how to fix that would be the other way 'round.

>> What we really need to be asking is why the pgAdmin folks think
>> they should be including it.

> It is required in order to pull kwlist.h,

No, it is not required. What they should be doing is #define'ing
PG_KEYWORD() in a way that ignores its second argument. See pg_dump's
keywords.c for an example of safe usage.

If we allow this to stand then we are going to find people complaining
that we've broken ABI anytime we make a minor change in the grammar.
I repeat: it's a SERIOUSLY bad idea.