Re: PostGre and Windows XP

From: "Merlin Moncure" <merlin(dot)moncure(at)rcsonline(dot)com>
To: "Jason Sheets" <jsheets(at)idahoimageworks(dot)com>
Cc: <pgsql-hackers-win32(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: PostGre and Windows XP
Date: 2004-07-13 12:51:13
Lists: pgsql-hackers-win32

Jason wrote:
> While it is not yet beta the 7.5 snapshots have been pretty stable for
me
> for the last couple months. I wouldn't use it for production but I've
been
> doing development work with it on XP for the past 2 months or so with
very
> little problems.

The win32 native port became mostly stable and usable around March. The
biggest thing about the mingw port is that on any given day there is
only about a 75% chance of compiling, but of course this is not a
problem with the binaries. Personally, I've never had a good experience
with Cygwin, and would not recommend it, even for development. The
mingw port has been very good to me (and I beat on it very hard).

The binary snapshots have been busted twice, once for a couple of days,
and once for about a week (roughly July 2-July 9). (note: the binaries
are not sanctioned or maintained by PostgreSQL maintainers). Problems
both times have been due to local configuration issues on the compiling
environment, and do not reflect the port itself.

Very Soon Now, expect them to be retired in favor of a .msi installer
written by Magnus.

Merlin