Re: win32 open patch for held unlink

From: "Merlin Moncure" <merlin(dot)moncure(at)rcsonline(dot)com>
To: "D(dot)J(dot) Heap" <djheap(at)dhiprovo(dot)com>
Cc: <pgsql-hackers-win32(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: win32 open patch for held unlink
Date: 2004-03-16 14:51:31
Lists: pgsql-hackers-win32

> I've run into lots of trouble with 3rd party programs opening any
files
> that change on the system and locking them down.

[snip]

Personally, I do not think this is a good enough reason not to use
Cladio's approach which is an elegant solution. Programs which
spuriously lock files are an administration problem, not a database
problem. Solution: don't install the virus scanner on the database
machine.

The biggest viruses on most computers are usually people anyways. A
production database server should have neither a user nor a virus
scanner messing with it (I think the same applies to a source code
server). This may run afoul of company policies...but for every
reasonable policy an exception has to be made.

Merlin