Re: [HACKERS] Tablespaces

From: "Merlin Moncure" <merlin(dot)moncure(at)rcsonline(dot)com>
To: "Magnus Hagander" <mha(at)sollentuna(dot)net>
Cc: "PostgreSQL Win32 port list" <pgsql-hackers-win32(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: [HACKERS] Tablespaces
Date: 2004-03-03 12:48:05
Lists: pgsql-hackers-win32

Magnus wrote:

> Not at all. We support NT4 as well. (And 2003. But that one support
> junctions in the same way 2000/XP does)
>
> But I agree that "no non-default tablespaces on NT4" is a reasonable
> restriction.

Yes.

> My definite guess is that it's implemented using NTFS junctions (since
> it's still NTFS being used, right?). Just with a different API on
top...

Yes, NTFS is being used, but acts as unix filesystem in function when in
posix mode. I'm not sure exactly how they did it, but my suspicion is
that all posix mode file I/O runs through a special service (PSXSS.EXE)
that does some trickery allows things normally not allowed on NT, like
symlinks and renaming open files. This is also why I/O on interix is
slightly slower than cygwin.

There is a full file permission system that is optionally integrated
into the NT domain system.

The postgresql build on my box right now is using symlimks...for example
the ipc.c file is symlinked.

> Interix also supports only 2000 + 2003, and not NT4, last time I
> checked.

You forgot XP, but Interix only runs over the 'professional' version of
XP (not home). But generally, yes.

Merlin