Re: BUG #2642: Connection problems without IPv6

From: "Magnus Hagander" <mha(at)sollentuna(dot)net>
To: "Christoph Zwerschke" <cito(at)online(dot)de>, <pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: BUG #2642: Connection problems without IPv6
Date: 2006-09-27 07:47:25
Lists: pgsql-bugs

> Bug reference: 2642
> Logged by: Christoph Zwerschke
> Email address: cito(at)online(dot)de
> PostgreSQL version: 8.1.4
> Operating system: Win XP
> Details:
>
> I am using PostgreSQL 8.1.4 on Win XP, installed from the
> official binary.
>
> When I start the PostgreSQL service, and I have my LAN
> network interface activated with TCP/IP installed, but IPv6
> deinstalled, I cannot connect to the PostgreSQL database. In
> the log file, I get the following error
> message:
>
> "LOG: could not receive data from client: An operation was
> attempted on something that is not a socket."
>
> This problem does *not* happen if:
>
> - the LAN network interface is deactivated or
> - the TCP/IP protocol is deactivated or
> - the TCP/IP protocol is activated, and TCP/IP v6 protocol is
> installed (must not be activated)
>
> It happens only if:
>
> - the LAN network interface is activated and
> - the TCP/IP protocol is activated and
> - the TCP/IP v6 protocol is not installed

I've never seen any mention at all about this before. Do you have any
antivirus or firewall software on this machine? Especially firewall
software has a bad habit of breaking regular winsock operations, as
we've seen in many different cases...

Also, what is the value of listen_addresses in your postgresql.conf?

//Magnus