Re: BUG #2646: Installation Failed due to Permissions

From: "Magnus Hagander" <mha(at)sollentuna(dot)net>
To: "Willa Wei" <wwei(at)mda(dot)ca>, <pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: BUG #2646: Installation Failed due to Permissions
Date: 2006-09-27 07:47:25
Lists: pgsql-bugs

> Bug reference: 2646
> Logged by: Willa Wei
> Email address: wwei(at)mda(dot)ca
> PostgreSQL version: 8.1.4
> Operating system: Windows XP Pro
> Details:
>
> Dear support,
>
> I tried to install PostgreSQL version 8.1.4 on a cooperate
> computer and it failed all the time no matter what I did. As
> corporate security police, each of us has given one corporate
> network user admin account and regular user account. The
> PostgresSQL installer also created a service account on local
> machine. I know we supposed not to use admin account. So, I
> tried to install the software using the two non-admin
> accounts and I got different results:

You must install *from* an admin account. The account used by the
PostgreSQL *service* must *not* be an admin account. This can either be
a pre-existing account, or the installer can create it for you. If your
corporate policy dictates that you can't create other local accounts,
you can just use your standard non-admin account.

> 1. Login as postgres service account

This is where you go wrong. You must log in as a user that is admin.

> 3. I unplug the network connection and login again with above
> cases. The installer behaved the same.

Yeah, that should make no difference.

> If this is not a bug, then what What kind of permission
> policy does the installer required? Is there anybody else who
> has the similar problem? How can we work around this problem?

There is also a FAQ notice on what permissions you need to grant in the
filesystem. Often the default ones will work just fine, but it's
possible that your corporate group policies have changed this in some
way. (Offline ATM, so I can't dig out the link for you. But it's on
www.postgresql.org/docs, under FAQs)

//Magnus