Re: Extremely slow queries in pgAdminIII

From: "Magnus Hagander" <mha(at)sollentuna(dot)net>
To: "Dave Page" <dpage(at)vale-housing(dot)co(dot)uk>, "Asger Petersen" <asger(at)jo-informatik(dot)dk>, <pgadmin-support(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Extremely slow queries in pgAdminIII
Date: 2005-03-19 22:35:38
Lists: pgadmin-support

>> Ok, i checked the dlls. I assume that pgAdmin will use the first
>> libpq.dll found in the path.
>
>Not necessarily - iirc, it'll use one in the working directory, the
>system32 directory or the path. It's not quite the same on all versions
>of windows either, but I can't find the relevant docs atm.

Couple of places to find it, but
http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/dncode/
html/secure06122003.asp has it.

It changed in XPSP1 and Win2003 server.

>> The situation is:
>> The database host: win2k, pgAdminIII 1.2.0 installed w.
>> pgInstaller rc2,
>> libpq.dll version 8.0.0.4356. (pgAdmin on this machine is also slow)
>
>OK (you should really upgrade that to 8.0.1!).

Absolutely.

>> Slow client: winXP, pgAdminIII 1.2.0 installed w. installer
>downloaded
>> from pgadmin.org, libpq.dll version 8.0.0.0
>> Fast client: winXP, pgAdminIII 1.2.0 installed w. installer
>downloaded
>> from pgadmin.org, libpq.dll version 8.0.0.0
>
>Hmm, OK. That's my mingw vs vc++ theory out the window :-(

Where does libpq.dll 8.0.0.0 come from? I thought that we'd
date-stamped the final number since back in the early RCs.

>> Trying to dig deeper into this, I have used psql on the database host
>> and on the fast client. On the host my query took forever whereas it
>> finished in 10 secs on the fast client. So to me it seems
>> pgAdmin is not
>> really the problem here, but now I have no idea where to
>look next :-(
>
>No - it's beginning to sound more like a network issue. Anything odd
>about the network config on any of those machines, or the switches they
>connect to? Firewalls, that sort of thing? Mind you, it's odd that it's
>slow running the client on the server as well....
>
>Magnus - this is the case I mentioned yesterday. There is no obvious
>relationship between libpq versions and slow/fast machines. One of the
>slow machines is the server itself, and it seems that psql is affected
>as well. Any ideas?

Not offhand.
Is it the connection that is slow, or the query runtime?
Any dealings with client side encodings that are different?
Is plain TCP flowing fast between these machines? Other kind of
networking stuff?

//Magnus