Re: 8.0 Beta3 worked, RC1 didn't!

From: "Magnus Hagander" <mha(at)sollentuna(dot)net>
To: "A(dot) Mous" <a(dot)mous(at)shaw(dot)ca>, <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: 8.0 Beta3 worked, RC1 didn't!
Date: 2004-12-22 10:05:27
Lists: pgsql-general

> Hi all,
>
> I'm using psql 8.0.0 on a client's site who's running win server 2003.
> We've had him on beta 3 for some time, and no problems at all
> (yes, in a sense, he is a beta tester as well, but doesn't
> know it!). Today I tried to upgrade the db to RC1 and had
> some problems.
>
> Remote clients connect to this database, so I have to set
> listen_addresses = '*' in the posrgresql.conf file. This is
> the only change to the config file. Doing this with RC1 and
> trying to connect locally with through psql resulted in the
> following error message:
>
> "could not receive server response to SSL negotiation packet;
> connection reset by peer (0x00002746/10054)"
>
> Removing the modified line in the config file resolved the
> problem (locally), however, no clients can connect! Beta 3
> does not seem to have this issue, so we had to revert back to
> it for now.
>
> I would appreciate any ideas that some of you may have. Much thanks,

If you installed from the MSI installer - the RC1 installer was
accidentally built without SSL support. Please try the RC2 installer
available now. If you are using SSL, that is.

That said, could you let us know what you have in your logfiles?
(data\pg_log\<latest file> if you haven't changed it) ALso, check if you
have something in the eventlog around the time of either service start
or client connection.

//Magnus