Re: Can't connect after restart

From: "Magnus Hagander" <mha(at)sollentuna(dot)net>
To: "Audrey Bergeron-Morin" <audreybmorin2(at)yahoo(dot)com>, <pgsql-hackers-win32(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Can't connect after restart
Date: 2005-07-27 20:38:26
Lists: pgsql-hackers-win32

> I've tried posting to the General list but it's been almost a
> week and I didn't get an much of an answer...

It's definitly a weird situation, never seen this before.

> I need help trying to identify what my problem is, and I
> don't know pgSQL well enough to do much troubleshooting myself.
>
> pgSQL 8.0.3 install on WinXP SP1. The guys on the General
> list told me I didn't need SP2.

Correct.

<snip>

> Our developer thought it might be a problem with permissions,
> but that seems very unlikely. I'm wondering if it might not
> be a firewall issue, but then I can't figure out why the
> initial install would be fine.

Could be something aobut the firewall that doesn't trigger until a
reboot. But yeah, it seems a bit far-fetched.

> Here are some other symptoms:
>
> If I shut down the service, then try to start it up again,
> sometimes it simply refuses to start again (bad user/pwd).
> I have to input the password again to get it to start. Seems
> like it's not remembering the info.

You're saying the service control manager complains about a bad
password? That's interesting. It's not a postgresql thing, but it can
certainly cause problems. I havne't heard of this happening. I've heard
of problems with the account losing the right to log in as a service
because of a group policy. But tha certainly wouldn't be fixed by you
putting the password back in.
That said, if you're in a domain environment, I'd check if there are any
group policy settings tha tmight affect it anyway.

> In the EventLog, I have one application error:
> 2005-07-26 16:27:57 LOG: logger shutting down

This is normal. It shouldn't be an error, and this will be fixed.

> The answer to that is, apparently, no, because I can't telnet
> 127.0.0.1 5432...

Right.
Does the output of "netstat -an" show anything for 5432?

Which of the following processes, and how many, do you get running when
you start up the service: pg_ctl.exe, postmaster.exe, postgres.exe?

If you get a postmaster.exe, can you attach to it with process explorer
from sysinternals.com, and see what you have on the TCP/IP tab?

> pgSQL logs seem normal (to my untrained eye)
<snip>
Yup, can't find anything obviously wrong there.

Finally, try using runas to get a commandprompt running as the service
account (runas /user:postgres cmd.exe), and start the database manually
from there (pg_ctl -D <data directory> start), and see if that shows up
any other messags.

//Magnus