telnet to port 5432 failed

From: "Qi, Xlaoyan" <qix(at)uncw(dot)edu>
To: <pgsql_jdbc(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: telnet to port 5432 failed
Date: 2004-09-23 16:28:04
Lists: pgsql-jdbc

Have Database server running in RHE3. postgresql.conf was changed to set
tcp_ip=true. Pg_hba.conf was changed to allow my windows machine to
access the database. Running "telnet localhost 5432" in linux shows
connected to localhost. From my windows end, I can telnet to linux box
successfully, it gives the error of "could not open the connection to
host on port 5432" when I run "telnet linux_ip 5432"

What could be the problem?

Thanks.

Cynthia