Re: plpgsql function returning SETOF

From: "Johannes Brgmann" <johannes(at)jottbee(dot)org>
To: pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: plpgsql function returning SETOF
Date: 2005-12-21 17:54:37
Lists: pgsql-novice

Hello Andreas,
hello novices and experts,

first of all thank you very much for your immediate response! The hint
is great but surprising to me.

"A. Kretschmer" <andreas(dot)kretschmer(at)schollglas(dot)com> writes:

> am 21.12.2005, um 16:54:43 +0100 mailte Johannes BrXgmann folgendes:
>>
>> I didn't understand how to create a function, which returns a varying
>> number of records. Worse, it seems, that I didn't understand the SETOF
>> feature at all...
>>
>> a result "table" like this is what I want:
>>
>> bezeichnung | datum
>> -----------------+-------
>> Allerheiligen | ....
>
> You should return your rows ;-)

Thank you very much!

I always had this in mind:

,----[ ${doc}/postgresql-8.0.3/html/xfunc-sql.html ]
| 31.4.4. SQL Functions Returning Sets
|
| When an SQL function is declared as returning SETOF sometype, the
| function's final SELECT query is executed to completion, and each row
| it outputs is returned as an element of the result set.
`----[ end ]

But this is SQL isn't it, ;-)? And SQL doesn't support timestamp, does
it? (AAaaarrggghhhh...)

A new problem is now, that i still can't get it to work after all:

CREATE TYPE feiertag AS (bezeichnung VARCHAR(100), datum TIMESTAMP WITH TIME ZONE);

CREATE OR REPLACE FUNCTION feiertage(TIMESTAMP WITH TIME ZONE)
RETURNS SETOF feiertag
CALLED ON NULL INPUT AS $$
DECLARE
in_ts timestamp with time zone;
curr feiertag%ROWTYPE;
r RECORD;
BEGIN
IF $1 IS NULL
THEN in_ts := localtimestamp(0);
ELSE in_ts := $1;
END IF;

FOR r IN SELECT f.b AS b, f.d AS d
FROM (
SELECT 'Allerheiligen ' AS b, allerheiligen(in_ts) AS d
UNION SELECT 'Aschermittwoch ' AS b, aschermittwoch(in_ts) AS d
UNION SELECT 'Tag der deutschen Einheit ' AS b, tagderdeutscheneinheit(in_ts) AS d
UNION SELECT 'Zweiter Weihnachtstag ' AS b, zweiterweihnachtstag(in_ts) AS d) AS f
LOOP
curr.bezeichnung := r.b;
curr.datum := r.d;
RETURN NEXT curr;