Re: Expression errors with "FOR UPDATE" and postgres_fdw with partition wise join enabled.

From: Etsuro Fujita <fujita(dot)etsuro(at)lab(dot)ntt(dot)co(dot)jp>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>, Ashutosh Bapat <ashutosh(dot)bapat(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>, Rajkumar Raghuwanshi <rajkumar(dot)raghuwanshi(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Expression errors with "FOR UPDATE" and postgres_fdw with partition wise join enabled.
Date: 2018-08-03 13:18:34
Lists: pgsql-hackers

(2018/08/03 5:25), Tom Lane wrote:
> What I'm thinking might be a more appropriate thing, at least for
> getting v11 out the door, is to refuse to generate partitionwise
> joins when any whole-row vars are involved.

Agreed.

> (Perhaps that's not
> enough to dodge all the problems, though?)
>
> Now, that's a bit of a problem for postgres_fdw, because it seems to
> insist on injecting WRVs even when the query text does not require any.
> Why is that, and can't we get rid of it? It's horrid for performance
> even without any of these other considerations. But if we fail to get
> rid of that in time for v11, it would mean that postgres_fdw can't
> participate in PWJ, which isn't great but I think we could live with it
> for now.

Sorry, I don't understand this. Could you elaborate on that a bit more?

> BTW, what exactly do we think the production status of PWJ is, anyway?
> I notice that upthread it was stated that enable_partitionwise_join
> defaults to off, as indeed it still does, and we'd turn it on later
> when we'd gotten rid of some memory-hogging problems. If that hasn't
> happened yet (and I don't see any open item about considering enabling
> PWJ by default for v11), then I have exactly no hesitation about
> lobotomizing PWJ as hard as we need to to mask this problem for v11.

That hasn't happened yet; I think we left that for PG12, IIRC.

Here is a patch for refusing to generate PWJ paths when WRVs are involved:

* We no longer need to handle WRVs, so I've simplified
build_joinrel_tlist() and setrefs.c to what they were before
partition-wise join went in, as in the previous patch.

* attr_needed data for each child is used for building child-joins'
tlists, but I think we can build those by applying
adjust_appendrel_attrs to the parent's tlists, without attr_needed. So,
I've also removed that as in the previous patch.

Maybe I'm missing something, though.

Best regards,
Etsuro Fujita

Attachment Content-Type Size
refuse-pwj-when-wrvs-involved.patch text/x-diff 42.8 KB