Re: [BUGS] issue about information_schema REFERENTIAL_CONSTRAINTS

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
Cc: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)commandprompt(dot)com>, Fabien COELHO <coelho(at)cri(dot)ensmp(dot)fr>, pgsql-docs(at)postgreSQL(dot)org
Subject: Re: [BUGS] issue about information_schema REFERENTIAL_CONSTRAINTS
Date: 2010-09-06 02:16:57
Lists: pgsql-bugs pgsql-docs

[ redirecting to pgsql-docs ]

> On fre, 2010-09-03 at 13:53 -0400, Tom Lane wrote:
>> It would probably be reasonable to put something into chapter 34 of the
>> docs pointing out this limitation. I'm not sure exactly where though.
>> Should we invent a "compatibility issues" section in that chapter,
>> analogous to the ones we have for individual SQL commands? Are there
>> other issues worth documenting for the information_schema views?

> A very similar issue is already documented here:
> http://developer.postgresql.org/pgdocs/postgres/infoschema-triggers.html

That sort of annotation was my first thought, but we'd have to repeat
ourselves in multiple places because there are several views that are
affected by the constraint-name issue. (Come to think of it, isn't
triggered_update_columns also affected by the trigger-name issue?)

Is that the direction we want to go, or would it be better to factor
the information out into a separate page about compatibility gotchas?