Re: Logical Replication Helpers WIP for discussion

From: Petr Jelinek <petr(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
To: Michael Paquier <michael(dot)paquier(at)gmail(dot)com>, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: ">> PostgreSQL-development" <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Logical Replication Helpers WIP for discussion
Date: 2015-02-15 14:25:59
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On 13/02/15 14:04, Petr Jelinek wrote:
> On 13/02/15 08:48, Michael Paquier wrote:
>>
>> Looking at this patch, I don't see what we actually gain much here
>> except a decoder plugin that speaks a special protocol for a special
>> background worker that has not been presented yet. What actually is the
>> value of that defined as a contrib/ module in-core. Note that we have
>> already test_decoding to basically test the logical decoding facility,
>> used at least at the SQL level to get logical changes decoded.
>>
>> Based on those reasons I am planning to mark this as rejected (it has no
>> documentation as well). So please speak up if you think the contrary,
>> but it seems to me that this could live happily out of core.
>
> I think you are missing point of this, it's not meant to be committed in
> this form at all and even less as contrib module. It was meant as basis
> for in-core logical replication discussion, but sadly I didn't really
> have time to pursue it in this CF in the end.

That being said and looking at the size of February CF, I think I am
fine with dropping this in 9.5 cycle, it does not seem likely that there
will be anything useful done with this fast enough to get to 9.5 so
there is no point in spending committer resources on it in final CF.

I will pick it up again after the CF is done.