Re: cygwin and postgresql

From: "James B(dot) Byrne" <byrnejb(at)harte-lyne(dot)ca>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: cygwin and postgresql
Date: 2009-06-15 14:22:10
Lists: pgsql-general

On: 15 Jun 2009 12:08:22 GMT, Jasen Betts <jasen(at)xnet(dot)co(dot)nz>

> On Sun, June 14, 2009 15:45, Scott Marlowe wrote:
>>
>> Is there a reason you're not using the native windows postgresql
>> packages?
>>

> Because for some reason, processes running in the cygwin environment
> could not create databases in the postgresql instance running in
> windows.

that's odd, were you specifying host=localhost, if not it may be
that the cygwin processes were trying to use local sockets.
(oner difference of the native windows postgres to linux is no local
sockets)

The cygwin processes had no trouble connecting to and operating on
existing databases. They could even drop a database. They just
could not recreate one after dropping it. As the database in
question is the one used for integration testing and as it gets
dropped and recreated on the fly at various points in the test suite
this was a major annoyance.

It could very well be that this behaviour is caused by some other
issue but I have a nagging suspicion that NTFS security issues are
at the root of it. As I have no other need to access pgsql on my
laptop, I thought it best to bring everything under one roof, so to
speak, and begin checking things out from that initial point.

--
*** E-Mail is NOT a SECURE channel ***
James B. Byrne mailto:ByrneJB(at)Harte-Lyne(dot)ca