Postgres 7 on Alpha

From: Roger Wernersson <roger(dot)wernersson(at)mindark(dot)com>
To: "'pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org'" <pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Postgres 7 on Alpha
Date: 2000-11-07 15:10:13
Lists: pgsql-bugs

Hi!

I have an old Alpha system which I use as a database server. I have
successufully run Postgres 6.5 on it but needed to upgrade to Postgres 7
to solve some problems. I downloaded the source of 7.0.2 as I could not
find any RPM of Postgres 7 for Alpha.

I compiled and installed it without a glitch but I can not initialize the
database. I get the following error:

bash$ /usr/local/pgsql/bin/initdb -D /usr/local/pgsql/data
This database system will be initialized with username "postgres".
This user will own all the data files and must also own the server
process.

Creating database system directory /usr/local/pgsql/data
Creating database system directory /usr/local/pgsql/data/base
Creating database XLOG directory /usr/local/pgsql/data/pg_xlog
Creating template database in /usr/local/pgsql/data/base/template1

FATAL: s_lock(20306f80) at spin.c:116, stuck spinlock. Aborting.

FATAL: s_lock(20306f80) at spin.c:116, stuck spinlock. Aborting.

initdb failed.
Removing /usr/local/pgsql/data.
Removing temp file /tmp/initdb.26953.

I run Red Hat Linux release 6.2 (Zoot), Kernel 2.2.14-6.0 on an alpha.
What do I do now? What is a spinlock?

/Roger