Re: Native XML

From: Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Anton <antonin(dot)houska(at)gmail(dot)com>, Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Native XML
Date: 2011-02-28 15:40:01
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On 02/28/2011 10:30 AM, Tom Lane wrote:
> The single most pressing problem we've got with XML right now
> is the poor state of the XPath extensions in contrib/xml2. If we don't
> see a meaningful step forward in that area, a new implementation of the
> xml datatype isn't likely to win acceptance.

xpath_table is severely broken by design IMNSHO. We need a new design,
but I'm reluctant to work on that until someone does LATERAL, because a
replacement would be much nicer to design with it than without it.

But I don't believe replacing the underlying XML/XPath implementation
would help us fix it at all.

cheers

andreww