Re: [pgsql-general 2011-1-21:] Are there any projects interested in object functionality? (+ rule bases)

From: Nick Rudnick <joerg(dot)rudnick(at)t-online(dot)de>
To: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
Cc: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, Pavel Stehule <pavel(dot)stehule(at)gmail(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: [pgsql-general 2011-1-21:] Are there any projects interested in object functionality? (+ rule bases)
Date: 2011-02-01 21:27:47
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Hi Peter,

>> Another possibility is
>> foo->bar(baz)
>> This is in the SQL standard under<attribute or method reference>, but
>> it requires the left side to be of a reference type, which is something
>> that we don't have.
I think this is the point where I stopped my efforts in the past -- I
guessed that a reference, in PostgreSQL relational algebra, could be a
pair of a pg_class oid together with the object's oid (having to query
the pg_class oid each time seemed very expensive to me, then). I fiddled
around with a little C programming, then I lost confidence in whether I
was doing something reasonable -- I was afraid I did not know enough
about the internals to predict a convincing outcome.

All the best,

Nick