Re: Warm Standby looking for already applied log files

From: "Kevin Grittner" <Kevin(dot)Grittner(at)wicourts(dot)gov>
To: "Dimitri Fontaine" <dimitri(at)2ndQuadrant(dot)fr>
Cc: "Colin Wilson" <cwilson(at)blackducksoftware(dot)com>, "pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Warm Standby looking for already applied log files
Date: 2011-01-28 16:01:59
Lists: pgsql-admin

Dimitri Fontaine <dimitri(at)2ndQuadrant(dot)fr> wrote:
> "Kevin Grittner" <Kevin(dot)Grittner(at)wicourts(dot)gov> writes:
>> that script to not delete. Personally, I like to keep the last
>> two base backups and all the WAL files needed to restore from the
>> earlier of those forward. We have cleanup script that deletes
>> the oldest backup and WAL files only needed for recovery from it
>> when we receive a new one.
>
> PostgreSQL 9.0 now ships with such a script per default:

http://www.postgresql.org/docs/9.0/interactive/pgarchivecleanup.html

Thanks for pointing that out. Next time we touch the scripts, I'll
see about using this instead of the bash script we call to do the
equivalent.

I don't suppose there's something which looks *into* a backup file
and deletes all WAL files not needed to restore the related base
backup? That would eliminate an even *uglier* bash script here.

-Kevin