Re: Reviewfest 2010-06 Plans and Call for Reviewers

From: "Kevin Grittner" <Kevin(dot)Grittner(at)wicourts(dot)gov>
To: "Robert Haas" <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>,<pgsql-rrreviewers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Reviewfest 2010-06 Plans and Call for Reviewers
Date: 2010-07-08 16:44:37
Lists: pgsql-hackers pgsql-rrreviewers

> Kevin Grittner <Kevin(dot)Grittner(at)wicourts(dot)gov> wrote:
>>> or had major design issues
>>
>> That's a much harder problem. The set of people who can review
>> for that is rather smaller than the set who can see if a patch
>> applies without error.
>
> Well, true. But reporting whether the patch applies without error
> is about the most minimal review possible

I didn't mean to imply that only the two extremes of review ("does
the patch apply?" and "does this patch have a major overall design
flaw?") were the only things to try to address now; I was just
responding to your observation that these comprised a lot of the
activity of the first CommitFest last year, and that the latter is
harder to address without a review by a senior developer. I suspect
that one person could check for bitrot in all pending patches with a
one or two FTE day's effort, and if that's done within the next few
days, it might allow time for fixes before the start of the CF free
up more of the first week of the CF to more substantive review.

Nice comments later in the email, though; I hope you won't mind if
you find excerpts popping up in the code review Wiki pages. ;-)

-Kevin