Re: Gsoc XQuery

From: Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>
To: Necati Batur <necatibatur(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Gsoc XQuery
Date: 2010-04-09 20:37:38
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Necati Batur wrote:

> *IDEA:XMLQuery*
>
> * *
>
> *Abstract*
>
> SQL/XML makes it possible to store your XML documents in your SQL
> database, to query those documents using XPath and XQuery, and to
> "publish" your existing SQL data in the form of XML documents.
>
> *Benefits of Project*
>
> SQL/XML is an ANSI and ISO standard that provides support for using
> XML in the context of an SQL database system. Because SQL is the
> standard language for accessing and managing data stored in relational
> databases, it is natural that enterprises and users worldwide need the
> ability to integrate their XML data into their relational data through
> the use of SQL facilities.SQL/XML makes it possible to store your XML
> documents in your SQL database, to query those documents using XPath
> and XQuery, and to "publish" your existing SQL data in the form of XML
> documents.
>
> Nowadays Xml datatype is generally used to store,manipulate and export
> data between cross-platforms.We intend to implement and XML/SQL query
> for the postgresql based on XQuery,XPath. Postgresql 8.3 implemetns
> core functionalities for the SQL/XML but the XQuery is still needed to
> supported. Since XML is semi-structured it is flexible to use by other
> programming languages,reporting web-based applications as well as data
> exchange between different DBMSs.
>
> *Delivarables on Timeline*
>
> The implementation of XQuery support can ce achieved by;
>
> *Understanding the basics of the SQL/XML (1 week)
>
> *A research of on other kinds of XQuery supported DBMSs scuh as;
> Oracle and SQLServer(1-2 week)
>
> *The design for the core functionalities of the XQuery (2-4 week)
>
> *First few hard-coded functionalities(1-2 week)
>
> *Testing and adding more details during an iterative development(1-2 week)
>
> *Implementation of a GUI for XQuery for the PostgreSql users (2 week)
>
> *Final tests and documentation (1-2 week)
>
> *About me*
>
> I am a senior student at computer engineering at iztech
> <http://english.iyte.edu.tr/main_eng.jsp?pageName=main.htm> in turkey.
> My areas of inetrests are information management, OOP(Object Oriented
> Programming) and currently bioinformatics. I have been working with a
> Asistan Professor(Jens Allmer <http://jens.allmer.de/>) in molecular
> biology genetics department for one year.Firstly, we worked on a
> protein database 2DB <http://www.2db.de.ms/> and we presented the
> project in HIBIT09 <http://hibit09.ii.metu.edu.tr/>organization. The
> Project was “Database management system independence by amending 2DB
> with a database access layer”. Currently, I am working on another
> project (Kerb) as my senior project which is a general sqeuential task
> management system intend to reduce the errors and increase time saving
> in biological experiments. We will present this project in HIBIT2010
> <http://hibit2010.ii.metu.edu.tr/> too. Moreover,I am good at data
> [...]

Have you reviewed the discussions that have already occurred regarding
XQuery?

See for example here:
<http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-hackers/2010-02/msg01350.php> and
following emails in the thread.

This is not something to be done in isolation.

(Personally I wish some SOC student would do LATERAL. It would be useful
and is a feature of about the right size, I think).

cheers

andrew