Re: Re: BUG #5065: pg_ctl start fails as administrator, with "could not locate matching postgres executable"

From: Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>
To: Dave Page <dpage(at)pgadmin(dot)org>
Cc: Jesse Morris <jmorris(at)coverity(dot)com>, pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org, Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>
Subject: Re: Re: BUG #5065: pg_ctl start fails as administrator, with "could not locate matching postgres executable"
Date: 2009-10-19 18:03:14
Lists: pgsql-bugs pgsql-hackers

Dave Page wrote:
> On Fri, Oct 16, 2009 at 7:03 PM, Jesse Morris <jmorris(at)coverity(dot)com> wrote:

It looks OK to me (modulo the incorrect changing of "its" to "it's" in a
comment - whoever did that was trying to make it consistent, but
unfortunately made it consistently wrong).

However, I'd like a bit more comment added on just why doing this is
safe. Would it still be safe if someone granted some dangerous privilege
directly to the Administrator user, if that's possible?

cheers

andrew