Re: [HACKERS] Decision Process WAS: Increased company involvement

From: "Dave Held" <dave(dot)held(at)arraysg(dot)com>
To: <pgsql-advocacy(at)postgresql(dot)org>, <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: [HACKERS] Decision Process WAS: Increased company involvement
Date: 2005-05-03 16:34:05
Lists: pgsql-advocacy pgsql-hackers

Maybe so, but if you were a new contributor, why would you write
a bunch of code with no assurance that it would go anywhere?
It seems wiser to invest your time familiarizing yourself with
the ins and outs of the codebase and the coding style of patches
by looking at other people's work. It also seems smarter to
lurk and see what kinds of changes are likely to be considered.
I doubt you would think highly of a newcomer that contributed
code that was not in the style of the codebase and was for a
feature not on the TODO list and that didn't get community buy-in
first. But then, how do you get community buy-in if you don't
contribute code, according to you?

__
David B. Held
Software Engineer/Array Services Group