Re: pg_upgrade project status

From: Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>
To: Heikki Linnakangas <heikki(dot)linnakangas(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
Cc: Zdenek Kotala <Zdenek(dot)Kotala(at)Sun(dot)COM>, "pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: pg_upgrade project status
Date: 2009-01-27 14:48:13
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Heikki Linnakangas wrote:
> Andrew Dunstan wrote:
>> Zdenek Kotala wrote:
>>> 2) pg_upgrade.sh
>>> http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-hackers/2008-12/msg00248.php
>>>
>>> Pg_upgrade.sh is shell script for catalog conversion. It works for
>>> 8.3->8.4 upgrade. It will be useful while we will not have better
>>> solution. Disadvantage is that it is korn shell script. The idea is to
>>> rewrite it in PERL which is more portable, but I'm not PERL expert and
>>> currently there is no workable solution.
>>
>> I have had a very brief look at this. Translation to perl doesn't
>> look difficult. I'll see what I can do during the next week or so.
>
> We don't require perl for any other feature, do we? Seems like a
> pretty onerous requireemnt for Windows in particular. We do use perl
> in the build scripts, but that's only required if you want to compile
> from source.

Well, from that POV the only portable thing is to translate it into C.
That's just a whole lot more work (remember initdb?). The perl port for
Windows is easily installable, widely used and well regarded. It doesn't
strike me as too high a price to pay for the ability to do upgrades, but
I'll defer to more Windows-centric commenters.

cheers

andrew