Re: BUG #6425: Bus error in slot_deform_tuple

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Duncan Rance <postgres(at)dunquino(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
Subject: Re: BUG #6425: Bus error in slot_deform_tuple
Date: 2012-02-02 21:44:10
Lists: pgsql-bugs pgsql-hackers

Duncan Rance <postgres(at)dunquino(dot)com> writes:
> At last I have been able to reproduce this problem in a relatively simple (yet contrived) way.

> I've put together a tarball with a few scripts, some to be run on the primary and others to be run on the hot-stanby. There's a README in there explaining what to do.

So far no luck reproducing any issue with this test case. I am running
two copies of import_loop.sh against the master, per your instructions,
and see occasional deadlock errors there as expected. No errors at all
on the standby though.

One question probably worth asking is what non-default GUC settings are
you using on the master and standby?

(BTW, for anyone else trying this: with multiple copies of
import_loop.sh you will get a lot of "duplicate key" failures with the
test as written. I had better luck after changing import.sh from
ts=$(perl -e 'print time')
ts=$$
ie use PID not timestamp as the pseudo-unique key. This could be made
more bulletproof yet, but it didn't seem worth more trouble.)