Re: Aliases for Field Names in SELECT statements

From: Devin Ben-Hur <devin(at)ben-hur(dot)net>
To: Rich Shepard <rshepard(at)appl-ecosys(dot)com>
Cc: pdxpug(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Aliases for Field Names in SELECT statements
Date: 2008-01-04 16:13:10
Lists: pdxpug

Rich Shepard wrote:
> A thread on the postgres users mail list asks how to write a SELECT
> statement using a column alias (e.g., SELECT emp_id AS e FROM employee),
> and
> Bruce Momjian responded that it's not possible and on the To-Do list to not
> be done.

I've frequently used column aliases with my pg sql and never had any
problem. Do you have a reference to the thread with the original
question? Perhaps there's some subtle use that Bruce thinks doesn't
work, rather than the simple case you've illustrated?

--
Devin Ben-Hur 503/860-4114 mailto:devin(at)ben-hur(dot)net

"Startups are basically comedies, or at least seem so in retrospect."
-- Paul Graham