Re: Fresh copy of a PG DB ?

From: Cédric Villemain <cedric(dot)villemain(at)dalibo(dot)com>
To: Pascal Heraud <heraud(at)tatm(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Fresh copy of a PG DB ?
Date: 2007-12-28 09:27:04
Lists: pgsql-admin

Pascal Heraud a écrit :
> Hello all,
>
> I want to have a fresh copy of my postgres database on another server
> in order to provide a simple mechanism of failover.
> My current solution is to backup the database every hour and re-create
> from scratch on the other side.
>
> Currently the database is small and its not an issue but when the size
> will be bigger, it can become an issue as you can guess :)
>
> What are the other solution to provide this service in a incremental
> manner ? Is there any "dupplication" tool or mechanism provided to
> allow such a repplication ?
Sure ! As ou can read in the doc, here :
http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.2/static/high-availability.html

> We looked at the way of using a replication solution but it seems very
> coupled to the version of the database we use. We are using PGSQL
> 8.2.4 on a Gentoo Linux OS.

You have not the lastest version wich is 8.2.5. You are running a
production site on a Gentoo??? You need to replicate asap, sure !

> Thanks for any clue :)
>
> Pascal

Cédric Villemain
Administrateur de Base de Données
Cel: +33 (0)6 74 15 56 53
http://dalibo.com - http://dalibo.org

Attachment Content-Type Size
cedric.villemain.vcf text/x-vcard 266 bytes