Re: BUG #3750: Invalid frontend message type 112

From: Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>
To: Christian Ullrich <chris(at)chrullrich(dot)net>
Cc: pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: BUG #3750: Invalid frontend message type 112
Date: 2007-11-15 18:40:47
Lists: pgsql-bugs

Christian Ullrich wrote:

> Bug reference: 3750
> Logged by: Christian Ullrich
> Email address: chris(at)chrullrich(dot)net
> PostgreSQL version: 8.3-beta2
> Operating system: Windows Server 2003
> Details:
>
> I'm running 8.3-beta2 (on WS2003, the client is XP Prof.) to experiment with
> SSPI auth against AD. There is a persistent problem when using SSPI:
> Authentication appears to work, but the connection fails at the first
> query.
>
> psql tells me about an "invalid frontend message type 112". Most of the
> time, that error comes as the first line of output from psql (above the
> "Welcome to" line), sometimes it is displayed later:
>
> Welcome to psql 8.3beta2, the PostgreSQL interactive terminal.
>
> Type: \copyright for distribution terms
> \h for help with SQL commands
> \? for help with psql commands
> \g or terminate with semicolon to execute query
> \q to quit
>
> test=>
> test=> select 1;
> This probably means the server terminated abnormally before or while
> processing the request.
> The connection to the server was lost. Attempting reset: FATAL: invalid
> frontend message type 112
> Succeeded.
>
> When I use another authentication method, all is well.
>
> I can provide a network trace of the connection on request.

Strange, it's been running fine for me :-( Couple of questions:

Does it work if you run the client on the same machine as the server?

How's your AD set up - single domain, or multiple?

Do you get anything in the server logs (please check both eventlog and
the pg_log directory)

And yes, please send me a network trace off-list. (send the rest of the

//Magnus