All Wisconsin Circuit Courts now using PostgreSQL

From: "Kevin Grittner" <Kevin(dot)Grittner(at)wicourts(dot)gov>
To: <pgsql-advocacy(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: All Wisconsin Circuit Courts now using PostgreSQL
Date: 2007-08-30 23:24:28
Lists: pgsql-advocacy

Minutes ago we converted the last of our 72 Circuit Court databases (one in each county in the state) from a commercial database product to PostgreSQL. The conversions went smoothly, with many people commenting on their apprehensions and their pleasant surprise that everything "just worked". We had many people comment on the improved performance. One Clerk of Court apologized for not knowing the right terminology, but said that everything was "just crisper and snappier."

Due to the smooth roll-out and the stable functioning of the software under PostgreSQL, we were able to convince management to let us accelerate the deployment. We have converted as many as eleven counties per week, finishing months ahead of the original schedule. One of my colleagues single-handedly converted six counties in a single evening within three hours of the user logging out.

I would like to thank the entire PostgreSQL community for the helpful observations and suggestions as we learned how to work with PostgreSQL. The PostgreSQL mailing lists are an invaluable resource, both as a searchable knowledge base and a set of live discussion forums. I apologize for those times when I've cluttered the lists with what I thought were PostgreSQL problems, which turned out to be my own errors; I appreciate the nudges back toward reality. I hope that nobody will take offense if I specifically recognize Tom Lane for his amazing combination of energy, technical acumen, and patience.

We couldn't have done it without you guys. The level and quality of help provided on the PostgreSQL mailing lists puts all other software support I've ever dealt with to shame, and I've been in the business now for 35 years.

-Kevin