Re: Weird 8.2.4 performance

From: Mark Kirkwood <markir(at)paradise(dot)net(dot)nz>
To: Kurt Overberg <kurt(at)hotdogrecords(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Weird 8.2.4 performance
Date: 2007-06-07 23:04:54
Lists: pgsql-performance

Kurt Overberg wrote:
> work_mem = 100MB # when I ran the original query,
> this was set to 1MB, increased on Mark Kirkwood's advice, seemed to help
> a bit but not really

For future reference, be careful with this parameter, as *every*
connection will use this much memory for each sort or hash (i.e it's not
shared and can be allocated several times by each connection!)...yeah, I
know I suggested increasing it to see what effect it would have :-).

And I'd agree with Steiner and others, looks like caching effects are
the cause of the timing difference between production and the mac!

Cheers

Mark