Re: msvc, build and install with cygwin in the PATH

From: Hannes Eder <Hannes(at)HannesEder(dot)net>
To: Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>
Cc: pgsql-patches(at)postgresql(dot)org, pgsql-hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, magnus(at)hagander(dot)net
Subject: Re: msvc, build and install with cygwin in the PATH
Date: 2007-05-30 10:09:05
Lists: pgsql-hackers pgsql-patches

Andrew Dunstan schrieb:
> Hannes Eder wrote:
>> - open($D, "dir /b $subdirs $spec |") || croak "Could not list
>> $spec\n";
>> + open($D, "cmd /c dir /b $subdirs $spec |") || croak "Could not
>> list $spec\n";
>>

> What the heck are we doing here anyway? We should be doing this a la
> Perl - calling out to "dir /b" is surely not the best way to do this.
> If we need to recurse we should use File::Find.
I think since the code in src/tools/msvc is specific to MSVC and
therefor, at least currently, specific to Windows. Calling out to "dir
/b /s" or "cmd /c dir /b /s" works on WinNT and higher. On Win9x/ME
command.com should be called instead of cmd.exe. In order to be more
portable maybe we should use the environment variable COMSPEC, which
should always point to an appropriate command processor.

Is it worth doing this the "Perl-way" and using File::Find? If so, I can
work an a patch for that.

Hannes.