Re: linked tables in MS Access

From: Arnaud Lesauvage <thewild(at)freesurf(dot)fr>
To: Philippe Lang <philippe(dot)lang(at)attiksystem(dot)ch>
Cc: Jirí Nouza <nouza(at)seznam(dot)cz>, pgsql-odbc(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: linked tables in MS Access
Date: 2007-01-23 09:57:43
Lists: pgsql-odbc

Philippe Lang a écrit :
> I'm using MS Access, ODBC and Postgresql in several places, with big tables as well, and I don't have any performance problem.
> I have always been using the default driver parameters, and it always worked for me. But maybe you should play with that a little bit. And I think a few performance tuning tips have been discussed in this list in the past.

I also use Access as a FrontEnd to PostgreSQL (we are migrating the backend).
The main problem is that all queries have to be written in PostgreSQL.
When joining linked tables in Access, performance is terrible ! I think I understand why, but some of my power-users would like to be able to create queries in Access and have no knowledge of SQL (so creating them in PostgreSQL is not an option).

> One thing you have to check, is wether you are using the MS Access 2000 format, under MS Access 2003. There is huge performance loss in this configuration. Convert your database into the 2003 format, and problems will disappear.

Good to know !
I might give MSAccess2003 a try then !

--
Arnaud