pg_dump -Fc does not dump indexes]

From: Alberto <nspmma(at)freenet(dot)de>
To: pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: pg_dump -Fc does not dump indexes]
Date: 2005-06-25 15:55:30
Lists: pgsql-admin

Hi everybody,
I have tried to backup my postgres database with
pg_dump -Fc $db > ~/backups/$db.backup.c
and restore it with:
createdb -U postgres -D aestel_admin -T template0 restoreTMP
pg_restore -d restoreTMP -U postgres $db.backup.c

I do not get any error messages but none of my indexes are created. None
of the primary key or foreign key constraint are created. However simple
check constraints are created.

Using the -v flag does not show any index creation.

Using the -l option to list the commands does not show any indexes either.
pg_restore -lv -U postgres $db.backup.c

pg_dump -vFc does produce lines like:
pg_dump: reading indexes for table "acc_controlled_expression"

If I do not use the -Fc option just plain
pg_dump $db >t
then "Alter Table add constraint PRIMARY KEY" and foreign key statements
are created as well as create unique index statements.

Is this a known feature, other people must be using the same commands.
Do I need to use pg_dump without the -FC option to create the tables,
indexes and constraints?

Am I missing something?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,