Re: change logging defaults

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Justin Pryzby <pryzby(at)telsasoft(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: change logging defaults
Date: 2021-06-15 17:03:25
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Justin Pryzby <pryzby(at)telsasoft(dot)com> writes:
> I propose to change some defaults:
> log_autovacuum_min_duration = 0
> log_checkpoints = on
> log_lock_waits = on (and log_recovery_conflict_waits too?)
> log_temp_files = 128kB

Why?

Based on reports that I see, some quite large percentage of Postgres
DBAs never look at the postmaster log at all. So making the log
bulkier isn't something that will be useful to them. People who do
want these reports are certainly capable of turning them on.

> Note that pg_regress does this:

What we find useful for testing seems to me to be nearly
unrelated to production needs.