Re: pgsql 8.x libpq.dll Installation problems

From: "Matthew T(dot) O'Connor" <matthew(at)zeut(dot)net>
To: John DeSoi <desoi(at)pgedit(dot)com>
Cc: rabt(at)dim(dot)uchile(dot)cl, pgsql-hackers-win32(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: pgsql 8.x libpq.dll Installation problems
Date: 2005-04-07 21:52:50
Lists: pgsql-hackers-win32

John DeSoi wrote:

> On Apr 7, 2005, at 2:46 PM, rabt(at)dim(dot)uchile(dot)cl wrote:
>
>> I've been testing windows native port of postgresql 8.0.1 at home and
>> now I want
>> to try it at work. The problem is that my admins are a little
>> concerned about
>> users privileges, so they left us with read-only privs on System32
>> folder,
>> which means that pginstaller can't copy libpq.dll file to it's default
>> location, and of course installation can't proceed. I've tried
>> msiexec docs
>> with no luck and I've also tried setting SYSTEMROOT variable to a
>> different
>> location with no results.
>>
>> Is there anything I can do or should I go back to cygwin port of pgsql?
>

> One option is to build from source using MinGW. Any of the utilities
> like psql.exe will run fine as long as you have the dll files in the
> same directory.

I know I would love to see a precompiled windows version of postgresql
that didn't require the installer. Something like a zip file that
contains everything under the "configure --prefix" directory. That way
it would be very easy for me to keep different versions on my machine
for testing purposes. It also allows a non-privlidged user to install
postgresql on Windows (with-out having to compile by hand) which is
something the project has always strived for.

Any reason this can't happen?

Matt