Trouble using plpgsql after 8.0 install

From: Aaron Craig <mercutio(at)pobox(dot)com>
To: pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Trouble using plpgsql after 8.0 install
Date: 2005-02-27 23:05:03
Lists: pgsql-admin

I've just upgraded to 8.01 on a Fedora 3 machine by doing the following

yum remove postgresql-*

and then (having previously downloaded these packages from my local FTP
mirror)

postgresql-8.0.1-2PGDG.i686.rpm
postgresql-contrib-8.0.1-2PGDG.i686.rpm
postgresql-devel-8.0.1-2PGDG.i686.rpm
postgresql-docs-8.0.1-2PGDG.i686.rpm
postgresql-jdbc-8.0.1-2PGDG.i686.rpm
postgresql-libs-8.0.1-2PGDG.i686.rpm
postgresql-pl-8.0.1-2PGDG.i686.rpm
postgresql-server-8.0.1-2PGDG.i686.rpm
postgresql-test-8.0.1-2PGDG.i686.rpm

yum install postgresql-*

After removing the devel package from the group (this gave me a
dependency issue) I was able to successfully(?) install the new
postgres. I then separately installed the devel package.

However, when I:
su - postgres
psql some_database
select get_booked_show(1, '20050101');
I get this result:

ERROR: could not load library "/usr/lib/pgsql/plpgsql.so":
/usr/lib/pgsql/plpgsql.so: undefined symbol: PG_exception_stack

The get_booked_show function is defined thusly:
CREATE FUNCTION get_booked_show(INTEGER, TIMESTAMP) RETURNS INTEGER AS '
~ DECLARE
~ evt_id ALIAS FOR $1;
~ showtime ALIAS FOR $2;
~ r_return RECORD;
~ BEGIN
~ SELECT INTO r_return SUM(seats) AS seat_count
~ FROM reservation
~ WHERE xdb_reservation_id In(
~ SELECT reservation FROM event_reservation WHERE event = evt_id)
~ AND reserve_datetime = showtime;
~ RETURN r_return.seat_count;
~ END;' LANGUAGE 'plpgsql';

I search on the postgres site for 'undefined symbol: PG_exception_stack'
didn't turn up anything interesting, and a search on Google groups
turned up a thread indicating that perhaps I'm trying to call a pre 8.0
.so from the 8.0 front-end. However, wouldn't all of the 7.4 stuff have
been removed by my yum remove call?

Any insight is greatly appreciated.

- --
Aaron Craig