Re: Tryint to match Solaris-Oracle performance with directio?

From: Shachar Shemesh <psql(at)shemesh(dot)biz>
To: ischamay(dot)andbergsay(at)activestateway(dot)com
Cc: pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Tryint to match Solaris-Oracle performance with directio?
Date: 2004-09-18 17:02:48
Lists: pgsql-performance

Mischa Sandberg wrote:

> In the meantime, what I gather from browsing mail archives is that
> postgresql on Solaris seems to get hung up on IO rather than CPU.

Well, people more knowledgeable in the secrets of postgres seem
confident that this is not your problem. Fortunetly, however, there is a
simple way to find out.

Just download the utinyint var type from pgfoundry
(http://pgfoundry.org/projects/sql2pg/). There are some stuff there you
will need to compile yourself from CVS. I'm sorry, but I haven't done a
proper release just yet. In any case, the utinyint type should provide
you with the data type you seek, and thus allow you to find out whether
this is, indeed, the problem.

--
Shachar Shemesh
Lingnu Open Source Consulting ltd.