Re: Installing PostgreSQL in a Linux Environment

From: Arthur van Dorp <arthur_vd(at)gmx(dot)net>
To: Eyinagho Newton <neyinagho(at)yahoo(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Installing PostgreSQL in a Linux Environment
Date: 2004-08-22 10:22:34
Lists: pgsql-novice

Hi

> It has been impossible to install PostgreSQL, an open
> source
> software, from my SUSE 8.0 . Although it tells you its
> been installed, each time i try to start it using
> SysV-Init Editor, i get the following message:

> starting postgreSQL
> /etc/init.d/postgresql.checkproc:command not found
> ....done

Does this file /etc/init.d/postgresql.checkproc exist? Does the
postmaster process show up if you type 'ps -A' in a console? If it does,
PostgreSQL is installed and running. The checkproc command is probably
only there to check whether PostgreSQL has started correctly.

SuSE 8.0 is quite old, probably a newer version wouldn't be bad. You can
also install the newest PostgreSQL version from source
(http://www.postgresql.org/mirrors-ftp.html).

Arthur