pgsql on debian

From: Jay <jspothar(at)cs(dot)uccs(dot)edu>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: pgsql on debian
Date: 2004-06-26 23:36:11
Lists: pgsql-general

Hi group,
I am trying to get pgsql working on my debian system. I installed pgsql
using apt-get. but then i cant connect to it . i am using the following
command
psql -U jay -d jaydb

earlier i used create su postgres 'createdb root' jaydb.
but now i cannot access the db.
i get the follwing msgs

psql: FATAL: database "jaydb" does not exist

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I have a submission on mon. plz help
jay