Simple list tables question

From: Mihai Tanasescu <Mihai(dot)Tanasescu(at)skyraven(dot)pcnet(dot)ro>
To: pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Simple list tables question
Date: 2004-03-21 12:10:40
Lists: pgsql-novice

Hello,

I've been a mysql user for about 2 years and I decided to try Postgre
SQL out.

I have the following problem that I'm trying to figure out:

- in mysql as user root I can connect to any databases not owned by
myself and I can list the tables they contain
- in postgre I have created another database owned by user "bbstatus"
If I login with user bbstatus to database bbstatus then I can do a
"\dt" and show the tables it contains but if I login with user postgres
which is a superuser and I try a "\dt" I get no results.

/usr/local/pgsql/bin/psql -U bbstatus bbstatus

Type: \copyright for distribution terms
\h for help with SQL commands
\? for help on internal slash commands
\q to quit

bbstatus=> \dt
List of relations
Schema | Name | Type | Owner
----------+--------------------------------+-------+----------
bbstatus | acct_clientip | table | bbstatus
bbstatus | acct_clients_and_filters | table | bbstatus

/usr/local/pgsql/bin/psql -U postgres bbstatus

Type: \copyright for distribution terms
\h for help with SQL commands
\? for help on internal slash commands
\q to quit

bbstatus=# \dt
No relations found.

Isn't the postgres user the same as the root user from mysql ?
I mean there must be a user that has enough rights by default to list
tables in any databases ( I don't like granting myself right for every
database someone creates)