Re: pgadmin 3 on Debian Stable (woody)

From: Raphaël Enrici <blacknoz(at)club-internet(dot)fr>
To: derek(at)gnue(dot)org
Cc: pgadmin-support(at)postgresql(dot)org, jm(at)poure(dot)com
Subject: Re: pgadmin 3 on Debian Stable (woody)
Date: 2004-03-04 22:08:03
Lists: pgadmin-support

Hi Derek,

Derek Neighbors wrote:

>It should read:
> For example, for France, you can try:
> * For Debian WOODY:
> deb ftp://ftp2.fr.postgresql.org/postgresql/pgadmin3/release/debian
>woody pgadmin

Thank you for the report.
Jean-Michel: can you add the missing "deb" on the download page please ?

>Anyhow I went to run the application and got the following error:
>An Error has occured:
>Error connecting to the server: The PostgreSQL server must be at least
>version 7.3!
>The issue is Debian Stable (woody) has PostgreSQL server 7.2. I think
>there are a few ways to tackle this in packaging.
>1. Include backports for 7.3 in the same repository that the pgadmin3
>stuff is and "require" it as part ofinstalling pgadmin3
>2. Make pgadmin3 work against current PostgreSQL packaging for Debian
>Stable (Woody)
>I personally would like to see #2 as I'm not in a position currently to
>readily upgrade to 7.3. :)

As Andreas said in his previous mail, pgAdmin3 is based on PostgreSQL >=7.3.
I built the woody packages with the official 7.2 libpq delivered in
debian although it can be source of bugs in pgAdmin3 (we got none
reported until now). I don't know if I will continue to maintain woody
packages...
However, you can find PostgreSQL 7.4 backports for woody here:
http://people.debian.org/~elphick/debian/

Note that I did not try them but they appear to be ok for most users
according to google. :)

Regards,
Raphaël