Re: Release plan

From: Andreas Pflug <Andreas(dot)Pflug(at)web(dot)de>
To: Dave Page <dpage(at)vale-housing(dot)co(dot)uk>, pgadmin-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Release plan
Date: 2003-04-30 13:51:06
Lists: pgadmin-hackers

Dave Page wrote:

>Preview/Developer Releases
>--------------------------
>
>These are useful to get feedback during the development phase. Basically
>unsupported, and may be missing features, the idea is to get feedback as
>we go, and find any major problems early on that may not be spotted by
>us. We can release these following any major commits or task
>completions.

That's what I'm offering at the moment at
www.pse-consulting.de/pgadmin3/pgadmin3.zip. Maybe we should have a more
official place for this?

>Beta Releases
>-------------
>
>Beta release will be just like any other - we will feature freeze and go
>into bug fixing mode. As I said in my earlier email on plugins, I want
>to avoid non-core features of pgAdmin for the first release, and provide
>just schema and data management support *in full*. I think that should
>include:
>
>1) Schema browser capable of browsing all object types, including those
>missing from pgAdmin II, such as operator classes, rules/triggers under
>views and user/database variables.

Done. I don't have rules and operator classes test cases, would you
please check them?
User and database variables implemented.

>2) Property editor/Creation dialogues for each object type.

Well, seems like a punishment to me... Do we really need ALL objects
supported for a release? I believe for the first step we could reduce it
to the most used object types, omitting rarely used ones. Virtually
nobody will miss a Operator Class wizard...

Here is my ranking with descending priority:
- User (done)
- Group
- Table
- View
- Foreign Key
-- up to here, absolutely necessary for Beta-1, covers >90 % or work.
---------------------------
- Function
- Trigger
- Rule
- Sequence
- Check
-- coverage >99 % with this objects
---------------------------
- Type
- Domain
- Operator
- Aggregate
- Conversion
- Schema
- Language
- Database
- Cast
- Operator Class

>3) Table viewer/editor, with data save/export capable of handling a few
>basic ASCII formats.

Which formats are needed?
- CSV, with selectable separator, escape char, string delimiter, line
delimiter
- ?

>4) Combined query tool, switchable between pure SQL entry and QBE modes,
>with data save/export capable of handling a few basic ASCII formats.

Export: same question as above.

>Thoughts, comments?

I totally agree to keep pgAdmin3 at a reasonable core functionality.
Still, some maintenance tools for daily work should be included in the
next release. VACUUM is one of them, and database backup and restore is
just the same level.

Regards,
Andreas