Re: pg_restore --no-post-data and --post-data-only

From: Jim Nasby <jim(at)nasby(dot)net>
To: Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>
Cc: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: pg_restore --no-post-data and --post-data-only
Date: 2011-08-26 20:46:46
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Aug 26, 2011, at 12:15 PM, Andrew Dunstan wrote:
> I knew there would be some bike-shedding about how we specify these things, which is why I haven't written docs yet.

While we're debating what shade of yellow to paint the shed...

My actual use case is to be able to be able to "inject" SQL into a SQL-formatted dump either pre- or post-data (I'm on 8.3, so I don't actually dump any data; I'm *mostly* emulating the ability to dump data on just certain tables).

So for what I'm doing, the ideal interface would be a way to tell pg_dump "When you're done dumping all table structures but before you get to any constraints, please run $COMMAND and inject it's output into the dump output." For some of the data obfuscation we're doing it would be easiest if $COMMAND was a perl script instead of SQL, but we could probably convert it.

Of course, many other folks actually need the ability to just spit out specific portions of the dump; I'm hoping we can come up with something that supports both concepts.
--
Jim C. Nasby, Database Architect jim(at)nasby(dot)net
512.569.9461 (cell) http://jim.nasby.net