Postmaster crash!

From: Ruslan A Dautkhanov <rusland(at)scn(dot)ru>
To: pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Postmaster crash!
Date: 2002-10-09 06:01:48
Lists: pgsql-bugs

Hi,

I had make VACUUM command for table with about 20 rows, but postmaster
daemon:

/var/log/messages :
Oct 9 13:45:05 stat /kernel: pid 76778 (postgres), uid 1003: exited on signal 11 (core dumped)

The command is:

isbs=# vacuum full verbose sessions;
before or while processing the request.
!#

There are log messages of PostgreSQL:
"
2002-10-09 13:45:05 DEBUG: server process (pid 76778) was terminated by signal 11
2002-10-09 13:45:05 DEBUG: terminating any other active server processes
2002-10-09 13:45:05 NOTICE: Message from PostgreSQL backend:
The Postmaster has informed me that some other backend
died abnormally and possibly corrupted shared memory.
I have rolled back the current transaction and am
going to terminate your database system connection and exit.
Please reconnect to the database system and repeat your query.
2002-10-09 13:45:05 NOTICE: Message from PostgreSQL backend:
The Postmaster has informed me that some other backend
died abnormally and possibly corrupted shared memory.
I have rolled back the current transaction and am
going to terminate your database system connection and exit.
Please reconnect to the database system and repeat your query.
2002-10-09 13:45:06 NOTICE: Message from PostgreSQL backend:
The Postmaster has informed me that some other backend
died abnormally and possibly corrupted shared memory.
I have rolled back the current transaction and am
going to terminate your database system connection and exit.
Please reconnect to the database system and repeat your query.
2002-10-09 13:45:06 DEBUG: all server processes terminated; reinitializing shared memory and
semaphores
IpcMemoryCreate: shmget(key=6543001, size=127746048, 03600) failed: Cannot allocate memory

This error usually means that PostgreSQL's request for a shared
memory segment exceeded available memory or swap space.
To reduce the request size (currently 127746048 bytes), reduce
PostgreSQL's shared_buffers parameter (currently 15200) and/or
its max_connections parameter (currently 64)."

I have never seen this before, my PostgreSQL have works hard for about
half year. Why this had happend? After restarting PostgreSQL the same query
complete without any problems. Remark: before this query I had make CLUSTER
on three tables, first of these have about 3 million rows, a next two have
about 100,000 rows, but all CLUSTERs had been finished good.

isbs=# select version();
version
PostgreSQL 7.2.1 on i386-unknown-freebsd4.4, compiled by GCC 2.95.3

My database is in productional state, so it shouldn't have such problems.
Should I better wait for 7.3 version or patch for this problem exists?

---
best regards,
Ruslan A Dautkhanov rusland(at)scn(dot)ru