Re: Newbe hacker, interface question on includes...

From: Thomas Lockhart <lockhart(at)alumni(dot)caltech(dot)edu>
To: otto(dot)hirr(at)olabinc(dot)com
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org, pgsql-interfaces(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Newbe hacker, interface question on includes...
Date: 2001-01-23 06:07:39
Lists: pgsql-hackers pgsql-interfaces

"Otto A. Hirr, Jr." wrote:

> I have begun perusing the source, eventually hoping to
> contribute to the development effort.

Welcome!

> I have noticed that
> long ago the include files for a "component" were in the
> component directory, eg src/backend/catalog/Attic/catalog.h,v
> (here I'm assuming that Attic means a storage place for
> items that use to be there but are no longer there...)

Actually, you are looking at CVS directory structures, not the
checked-out tree. CVS uses the attic to retain the history of deleted
files and of files which are on branches. Check out the cvs docs for
more info.

> and now this file resides in src/include/catalog/catalog.h,v. A quick
> scan seems that this was a common transformation.
> This seems to be a mighty step backwards, especially if
> one considers the recommendations on large systems development
> where you want to minimize dependancies...

We support well over 20 platforms now, and the platform dependencies are
pretty well isolated, though not perfectly.

> Could someone point out the history of code relocation and rationale.

We have a *long* history. But since you have access to a copy of the CVS
tree, you can check the comments and status on every file and every
change made since circa 1996.

- Thomas