Re: How to connect to the database server

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: guillaume(dot)yziquel(at)free(dot)fr
Cc: harold(dot)gimenez(at)gmail(dot)com, pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: How to connect to the database server
Date: 2008-05-22 19:50:04
Lists: pgsql-novice

guillaume(dot)yziquel(at)free(dot)fr writes:
> Doing su - postgres and psql yields:

>> postgres(at)seldon:~$ psql
>> psql: FATAL: La base de donnes postgres n'existe pas
>> postgres(at)seldon:~$

> Seems like I need to know what are the databases inside my cluster...

"psql -l" would tell you, though I bet the answers is "template1".
What you probably want to do is "psql template1" as postgres,
then create some users corresponding to the Unix accounts you
normally want to connect from.

You might also want to change the default authentication mode,
which is probably "ident" right now. Depending on what you're
doing, it might be better to give all the users passwords and
switch to md5 (ie, password) auth.

BTW, if the PG version doesn't create database "postgres" by
default, that means it's old enough to be obsolete.