Re: Online enabling of checksums

From: Sergei Kornilov <sk(at)zsrv(dot)org>
To: Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>, Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>
Cc: Andrey Borodin <x4mmm(at)yandex-team(dot)ru>, Tomas Vondra <tomas(dot)vondra(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Heikki Linnakangas <hlinnaka(at)iki(dot)fi>, Daniel Gustafsson <daniel(at)yesql(dot)se>, Michael Banck <michael(dot)banck(at)credativ(dot)de>, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, Greg Stark <stark(at)mit(dot)edu>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Online enabling of checksums
Date: 2018-06-26 13:21:17
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Hello

I tried build this patch and got error during make docs
> postgres.sgml:19626: element xref: validity error : IDREF attribute linkend references an unknown ID "runtime-checksumhelper-cost-limit"
> postgres.sgml:19625: element xref: validity error : IDREF attribute linkend references an unknown ID "runtime-checksumhelper-cost-delay"

Both new GUC checksumhelper_cost_delay and checksumhelper_cost_limit mentioned in postgresql.conf with special value -1 (-1 to use vacuum_cost_limit), but this value was not mentioned in docs. I noticed that the code and documentation describe different defaults.
Also i found one "<literal>in progress</literal>" in pg_enable_data_checksums() description. In other places status is called "inprogress" (without space).

> VacuumPageHit = 0;
> VacuumPageMiss = 0;
> VacuumPageDirty = 0;
Hm, why these settings are set to 0 in checksumhelper process?

> /*
> * Force a checkpoint to get everything out to disk. XXX: this should
> * probably not be an IMMEDIATE checkpoint, but leave it there for now for
> * testing
> */
> RequestCheckpoint(CHECKPOINT_FORCE | CHECKPOINT_WAIT | CHECKPOINT_IMMEDIATE);
We need not forget that.

regards, Sergei