Re: performance issue with a specific query

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
Cc: "Joshua D(dot) Drake" <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com>, Merlin Moncure <mmoncure(at)gmail(dot)com>, Eliott <eliott100(at)gmail(dot)com>, pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: performance issue with a specific query
Date: 2006-07-27 20:18:07
Lists: pgsql-performance

> Joshua D. Drake wrote:
>> Enterprises are not going to compile. They are going to accept the
>> latest support by vendor release.
>>
>> Redhat has a tendency to be incredibly stupid about this particular
>> area of their packaging.

> Stupid how?

Red Hat feels (apparently accurately, judging by their subscription
revenue ;-)) that what RHEL customers want is a platform that's stable
over multi-year application lifespans. So major incompatible changes in
the system software are not looked on with favor. That's why RHEL4
is still shipping PG 7.4.*. You can call it a stupid policy if you
like, but it's hard to argue with success.

However, there will be an RH-supported release of PG 8.1.* as an optional
add-on for RHEL4. Real Soon Now, I hope --- the release date has been
pushed back a couple times already.