Re: ALT*R T*BL* S*T / DR*P N*T N*LL patch - 4th try

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: "Christopher Kings-Lynne" <chriskl(at)familyhealth(dot)com(dot)au>
Cc: "Patches" <pgsql-patches(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: ALT*R T*BL* S*T / DR*P N*T N*LL patch - 4th try
Date: 2002-03-30 20:20:36
Lists: pgsql-patches

"Christopher Kings-Lynne" <chriskl(at)familyhealth(dot)com(dot)au> writes:
> This is a complete patch to implement changing the nullability of an
> attribute.

This looks good but I'm afraid it's out of step with recent changes
for schema support. In particular, heap_openr is now The Wrong Thing
to use for anything except access to system relations. As of CVS tip,
all the AlterTable routines use OID parameters not name parameters
to identify the table to work on. Could I ask you to update the patch
to match the coding style in CVS tip?

> The only thing I haven't checked are my ecpg changes. I would like someone
> with more ecpg experience to check my preproc.y changes.

I'd suggest leaving ecpg to Michael; he seems to prefer to do those
updates himself.

> Since I have now added two new large functions to command.c, I propose that
> sometime before 7.3 beta, command.c is refactored and an alter.c created.
> There is lots of common code in the Alter* functions that should be reused.

This is definitely a good thing to do. I think someone else (John
Gray?) had already volunteered, but I have not seen a patch go by.